Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Valentine's Day Gift! To Myself!



For the past few weeks I've been scouring all the local thrift stores looking for a new (to-me-anyway) sewing machine. I really wanted an older model- heavy, metal, without all the fancy stitches because I don't really need all of that. If it was garage sale season I'm sure I could have found something, but with warm weather still a few months away, I was getting frantic I wouldn't find something. My newer Kenmore machine works all right, but it doesn't sew well through multiple thick layers. And it really needs a tune-up!

I had been doing research and found quite a few Berninas on Ebay, but I was nervous to buy one without really knowing what could be wrong with it. You just never know what you're going to get on Ebay.

Over the weekend, I went to the sewing machine repair shop to see some of the older models they had. I was planning to get an older Kenmore (mid-1970s), but I told them that I really wanted an older Bernina. On Monday they called me and said they had this 830 that was in great condition. It has been fully refurbished and runs better than my newer Kenmore. It's so quiet (and doesn't shake the table like my old one!). It also came with all of it's accessories, case, extra bobbins, etc.



I whipped up this cover for it (gotta protect it!) and also made this crayon roll (for the kids crayons in the car or at therapy). I thought it would be a good project to practice sewing straight seams (which I'm still not great at!).




Happy Valentine's Day to me!

1 comments:

Chef Stinson Family said...

How cute is this? I love it! I am so stealing your Heart-shaped crayon craft idea in your previous post! So cool!