Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Funny Story...


So, last night I am in line waiting for the midnight showing of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". This movie is going to post AMAZING numbers if that line was any indication of what the rest of the country was doing... it weaved all the way through the parking lot of the theater. Anyway, after "Twilight", I am totally comfortable being "the old lady all alone waiting for the teen movie". Sometimes I'll chat with the kids around me, but usually I just people-watch and eavesdrop.
Anyway, I'm surrounded on all sides by high school kids. And they are all making out in front of me... so I'm feeling a little uncomfortable (and disgusted if I'm being honest). Then I hear this group start talking... here's a run-down of their conversation.
Girl #1: Have you ever heard of Simon and Garfunkel?
Girl #2: I don't think so. Who are they?
Girl #1: They're these two old guys. They're awesome. They sing "Mrs. Robinson".
Girl #2: Yeah, I know that song. They played it at so-and-so's party. There's a tall guy and short guy right?
Girl #1: Yeah, Simon is the tall one; Garfunkel is the short one.
Right there I want to turn around and tell the girl that she's wrong, but I just wait it out...
Girl #2: Are you sure? I thought Simon was the short one. Doesn't Garfunkel have a fro? He's the tall one.
Boy #1 (who just started talking out of the blue): Yeah, I think she's right. Garfunkel is the tall one.
Girl #1: No, I'm positive he's the short one.
This continues for a while. One of them actually gets out their phone to Google which one is the tall one and which one is the short one. Meanwhile, I am laughing to myself... and wondering if I should just turn around and correct her.
Boy #1: Yep, Garfunkel is the tall one. See? (he shows her his phone with proof)
Girl #1: Fine, I still think that's wrong. Garfunkel sounds like a troll or elf name to me... he can't possibly be tall. Wasn't that the name of the bad guy on the Smurfs? He just doesn't sound like he should be tall.

Seriously, that was her reasoning?

0 comments: